Tuesday, October 02, 2007

i just kant...

Blah. Sorry for the lack of participation (and general rabble rousing usually found in my contributions), but grad school is totally nuts. I have recently started divinity school, and let me just tell you... the fun here is definitely dead. Plus Christian theologians totally love to prove why Judaism is lame... and there's nothing that makes me more "Jew-ish" than reading old white men say how Jesus is the only way to go, and how Jews are lacking in the morality department. Throw in a lot of Kant and you can witness my crankiness. Plus evidently everyone in the MA program already knows the topic of their PhD dissertation!! what!

Alas, I would be lying if I said I wasnt having fun. Not actual fun, but student fun. You know, reading until your eyes hurt, debating for enjoyment, dropping names of dead philosophers... totally a good time. Email me if you want to talk about free will or your noumenal self! wooo!

On another note, the trees here are lovely and cars slow to ensure they do not hit me as i cross the road. People hold doors when my arms are full and my building actually has a perimeter. Life is nice, if not lonely without the "family."

... and i promise to write more (often and interestingly) when i actually have internet! woo

(and tent dresses are totally dumb and look bad on everyone... harley is 99% always right :) )

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zie, What's wrong with Kant? -TR

Suzie Schwartz said...

zzzzzzzzz....
i can only "reasonably hope" that I will someday take a class where I do not have to read him first.
I guess being a mod. philosophy major isnt helpful. :) a

Suzie Schwartz said...

Yes, as another new grad student in philosophy I def realize this... but nobody better than kant except Aristotle (i def. think plato was more important)? Hmm... important yes, but I'm not sure I can put a value judgment one this one. Badass? That guy totally needed to get laid. But the fact that I will always have to read him first (I'm focusing on Modern Philosophy, often continental, and its intersections with religion and ethics) pretty much assumes that he might be might be the most important thinker this side of the enlightenment. But don't you think his theories sometimes leave us wanting more? He totally sneaks Christianity through the side door in his Religion w/in bounds of Mere reason. blah. im boring myself.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I don't know too much about Kant's Religion. I like the Rawlsian interpretation, on which we focus on the realm of ends as an autonomous conception of morality (consist with the overall constructivist project), and bracket the "highest good" as a heteronomous conception, irreconciliable with the realm of ends. I know that's not true-blue Kantianism, but whatever: I'm an analytic, the only thing that interests me is whether p is true. But anyway, I think Kant's greatest work was the Critique of Pure Reason.

Anonymous said...

*consistent -TR

halline said...

important aspect of best man speeches is to know who to thank, traditional wedding dresses who to compliment and in what order. Get it right and you will be a hero, traditional wedding dresses but get it wrong and your popularity will fade quickly. 3 traditional wedding dresses