Thursday, April 26, 2007

Prepare to Be Shocked


In relation to my earth-shattering confession about my OED addiction, I must also reveal that I am, in fact, a huge Scrabble nerd. I won't say I love Scrabble with the same passion and fervor that I love the OED, but I would say that my life would be incomplete without my weekly Scrabble games, which I play surreptitiously online with whomever can stand to play me. I do have both a fancy spinny board and a canvas bound travel Scrabble.

Today, just moments ago, I finished a game with one of my fellow travelors and I received my all time high score.

...

Sorry, I just got a little choked up there.

I would like to thank my parents, for having Scrabble dates when they first got together and subjecting all of us to this "bonding activity." I'd also like to thank my mom, especially for never giving up on me and for insisting that I keep playing, even though it took me 10 years to beat her. I'd like to thank my Grandma, for never letting me win, never going easy, never letting me get away with even the most understandable spelling errors (seriously: that woman is an intense Scrabble aficionado). But most of all, I'd like to thank the Opera Singer for playing with me, week after week, and for truly challenging me. Sniff. Thank you everyone. It's truly an honor.

No comments: