Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I Intensely Dislike Cold Stone Creamery

And Salon agrees with me. Thank G-d. The ice cream is too sweet, not flavorful, and the smallest serving is roughly the size of my head. Justin Peters says that "Whereas a visit to Ben and Jerry's or Häagen-Dazs leaves me wanting more, a visit to Cold Stone leaves me wanting a salad and a shower." And I couldn't agree more.

That says "size of my head."

Now, I like ice cream as much as the next person (maybe more), but Cold Stone is just gross. Maggie Moo's has a franchise none too far from my house, and I find it significantly less offensive, the ice cream better, and the singing less racially charged. Yeah, I said it. You see, in the 42nd street franchise, the staff is almost entirely African American, and young, while the clientele is almost entirely white. When you tip them, they must sing a song about the joy of ice cream, generally in the same cadence that is used for other types of songs, for instance spirituals. Can anyone say "Carry me back to ole Virginny?" Nothing I like with my ice cream like a mix-in of minstrelsy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie, your posts have been really on point lately.

SaraK said...

ITA. Link to Salon was terrific.

Anonymous said...

Anon- thanks. It's easier when I have something to say.

Sarak- I <3 Salon. Although not as much as Slate, because Slate is entirely free, and for Salon I have to watch that irritating sitekey.

Anonymous said...

Yes! The portions are ginormous. If I could afford more ice cream, though, I would only go to il Laboratorio (right after going to the Tenement Museum, of course).

Jacob Da Jew said...

I went to Cold Stone once and liked it.

BTW, Thanks for adding me to your blogroll. I in turn reciprocated.

Shavua Tov

J

Anonymous said...

not more than 10 years after this post was written i'm here to reconfirm that CS is disgusting

Anonymous said...

I and Salon agree on something. That's a little scary.