Thursday, September 28, 2006

Jewish In(ternet)marriage

Intermarriage seems to be the issue of this generation. 52% of American Jews marry non-Jews. Into this breech steps... online Jewish social networks?

Yesterday I posted a promotional video for Koolanoo, which claims to be "The World's First Jewish Social Network." What happened to Jewstar (of which I am a member)? Of course, just as two Jews need three synagogues, the 18 million Jews worldwide need at LEAST three social networks. Thank goodness, we also have TwentyfourSix, which is a reference to Sabbath observance. See how clever they are? They don't even have the word "Jew" in the title!

Don't even get me started on dating networks. Frumster,Jdate,Future Simchas, and the list goes on, and on, and on.

My question is, does any of this really help? I mean, if I want to date and marry Jewish, then these are great, they help me to find prospective mates. But if I don't feel strongly about marrying a Jew, is the awesome pool of prospective daters on JDate going to change my mind? And, in the interest of full disclosure, I was a member of Frumster, but was emailed only by Haredi guys. What about me screams Haredi?


Clearly this is me. Or my future husband.

3 comments:

harley said...

Wait. You're not Haredi? Then what's with the shtreimel?

DK said...

"What about me screams Haredi?"

Check your hairstyle. Make sure it doesn't have that sheitl look. Grow it out a bit.

Annie said...

Thanks for that guys. I really appreciate it.