Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Teshuvah

While you are waiting with bated breath for my post on repentance, I will provide you with two distinct approaches to explaining the process of teshuva (repentance, literally: return) during the Aseret Yimai Teshuvah (the Ten Days of Repentance between Rosh Hashana, the New Year, and Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement).

The first contribution arrives expediously from Aish, who wish to walk you through the nuances of the process of teshuvah. Annie and I are of two different minds on this particular film. She contends that it is, "lame and irritating." On the other hand, I appreciated the Aronofsky-esque approach, highlighting the absurdity of the human condition in its process of apology through a layering of the many meanings conveyed by the word, "Sorry." The subtlety engaged in fully contextualizing this issue astounded me.

In contrast, Stephen Colbert clearly does not know the meaning of the word, "subtle." His attempt to explain teshuvah was almost comical. How can we take him seriously with the gigantic rotary phone he pulled onto the desk? At times, I almost think he doesn't want his program to be considered real news.



No comments: