Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Briefly, on Books

Back then, before things got bad, the Queen of the World gave Annie and me the type of Hanukkah present that is always the right size: books. For me, she had bought Irene Nemirofsky's Suite Francaise. Written by a French woman hiding in Southern France, the book is really a book of manners, set rivetingly during the evacuation from Paris during the Hitler's assault.

Like an idiot, instead of just thanking her for the thoughtful gift, I informed the Queen that I had just received a copy of the book from my older sister.
My thought process: How funny that two women about whom I care decided to
purchase me the same book!

How it came across: You got me a redundant book, you fool!


The Queen encouraged me to exchange her gift, even suggesting other books I would like, but I never got around to it and now I cannot bring myself to return the book. To top it off, in addition to owning two copies of the same book, I can't seem to get through it. I keep starting and stopping. This article in Jewcy spoke precisely to my predicament. I've really got to read this book.

No comments: