Thursday, November 16, 2006

Things I am Over

You know what I'm over? I am so over identifications with caveats. As in, "I am a Reform Jew but not one of those "non-denominational-post- congregational-wiser-than-my-elders" smart asses;" I hear it all of the time: I’m a girl, but not one of those girls. I’m an American, but not one of those Americans, or those Americans, or, heaven forbid, those Americans. There’s always a smug superiority in that phrase that has the dual purpose of simultaneously identifying ones-self as part of a group, but placing ones-self above the members of that group. Don’t worry, I’m one of the better ones. I’m Jewish, but not one of those Jews, I’m one of the good ones.


Also, I’m over dissing the post-denominationalists. Don’t you all have better things to do with your time than dismiss the beliefs of others? You already think you’re superior, surely the superiority of your version of the faith will manifest itself over time and the loser “smart asses” who dare to label themselves differently and worship different will be revealed for the heretics and charlatans they are.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Harley you wrote,

"Also, I’m over dissing the post-denominationalists. Don’t you all have better things to do with your time than dismiss the beliefs of others?"

Yes, I suppose I do...but this is more fun!

"You already think you’re superior, surely the superiority of your version of the faith will manifest itself over time and the loser “smart asses” who dare to label themselves differently and worship different will be revealed for the heretics and charlatans they are."

It's not always --for some of us--about our "version of faith," but rather, our version of doubt. And then there is the "stirah" (internal flaw in logic) issue, which is not really an issue of heresy. For instance, few really question the consistency of secularism.

And I would also note, that the post-denominational folks are not above claims of superiority of their "version." Not at all. The backlash is hardly occuring from nowhere.

BZ said...

Darn it, the 'school is down! How will I post my smackdown of pissedoffliberaljew?

harley said...

Here I was, all angry and seething, and you guys go and make me smile. Unfair. I was enjoying my moment.

Anonymous said...

well done. I suppose I have pissed off a few folks. And to that I am sorry. Yet I will not appoligize fro what I believe. I simply want to point out flaws. We all have them and that is the beauty of faith.

Anonymous said...

I'm self-hating, but I'm not like the other self-haters.