Monday, January 08, 2007

Interesting Coincidence

I'm currently reading "No Shame in My Game: The Working Poor in the Inner City" (yes, I am aware that I'm a bleeding-heart liberal and also a nerd), and I just stumbled across this blog thanks to Not Chosen.





It is about a girl (I think) who, as a 16-year-old takes a job at McDonald's. I take leave to doubt that the person is actually a) 16, and b) working at McDonald's, but it is at the very least an interesting, albeit brief, read.
This once again brings up my concerns about how our economy is based upon the exploitation of laborers at home and abroad. I do not think that I could afford my lifestyle (on my salary) if retail/service workers were paid a living wage. This fills me with middle-class liberal guilt, and a strong feeling of helplessness. How does one fix an entire system other than one person at a time?

1 comment:

Not Chosen said...

I'm pretty sure that the author is a member of the McDonalds' publicity team. It is pretty interesting though.